Questions to Consider while reading the textbook
and studying a unit's material
The Questions to Consider will be part of the midterm and final exams in the course. You should study these questions using your textbook, but you are also encouraged to use any other sources, such as Wikipedia. A good answer to a question to consider should be about a long paragraph. Check out an example.
Unit 2 Seventeenth-Century Europe
- How has geography influenced
the course of history?
- What is history?
Unit 3 Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment
- Why did Parliament succeed
in expanding its powers in England at the expense of the king?
- What were some of the characteristics of political modernization in France?
Unit 4 French Revolution
- Why was the era called the
- What did Isaac Newton achieve as a scientist?
Unit 5 Industrial Revolution
- What were the main characteristics of the
Ancien Régime (Old Regime) in France?
- Who was Napoleone di Buonaparte (aka Napoleon) and why
was he considered an embodiment of the revolution?
Unit 6 Russia in Revolt?
- Why did the Industrial Revolution
begin in England?
- How did industrial production
change Western society?
Unit 7 Nationalism
- What did the Decembrists
hope to achieve through their uprising?
- Was Emperor Alexander I an enlightened monarch?
Unit 8 Socialism
- What was the point of the Crimean War?
- How did Germany and Italy come into existence?
Unit 9 Imperialism
- What were the main points
of Marx' critique of capitalism?
- What were some of the distinctive
features of nineteenth-century conservatism and liberalism?
Unit 10 The Great War
- Why did Britain expand its overseas empire in the nineteenth century?
- Why were African societies susceptible to European control?
11 Russian Revolution
- Why were Germany and England
the major players in the drama of the summer of 1914?
- Why did nobody stop the
rush to war in 1914?
Unit 12 World War II
- Why were the Bolsheviks
able to triumph in the civil war in Russia?
- What factors promoted the
collapse of the autocracy in Russia in February 1917?
Unit 13 Cold War
- How did World War II differ from the Great War?
- How do you explain why the genocide carried out by Nazi Germany occurred?
Unit 14 Decolonization
- How did the Cold War begin
and how did it encompass the entire world?
- What caused the outbreak
of hostilities in Korea?
Unit 15 Final Exam
- What were some of the common features experienced by countries of the "Developing World"
- Why did South Asian leaders insist on the partition of the subcontinent?
Unit 16 Twenty-First Century World
- What were some of the common features experiences by countries of the “Developed World” since 1945?
- What is globalization?
- How have technology developments shaped the modern world?
- What is human progress?
All materials on this site
are copyright © 2008-18, C.T. Evans
For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org