Questions to Consider while reading the textbook
and studying a unit's material
The Questions to Consider will be part of the midterm and final exams in the course as the exam "surprise question." You should study these questions using your textbook, but you are also encouraged to use any other sources, such as Wikipedia. A good answer to a "question to consider" should be about a long paragraph. Check out an example.
Unit 2 Seventeenth-Century Europe
- How has geography influenced
the course of history?
Unit 3 East Asia in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries
- Why did Parliament succeed
in expanding its powers in England?
Unit 4 South Asia and Gunpowder Empires
- During the Tokugawa Shogunate, how did Japanese
society respond to Western contact?
Unit 5 European Modernization
- What factors allowed the Safavids to create such a
- What was the key to Akbar's success as a ruler?
Unit 6 Africa and the Challenge of Imperialism
- Why was the era called the
- How did industrial production
change Western society?
Unit 7 Mexico and Central America in Revolt
- Why were African societies susceptible to European control?
Unit 8 Russia in Revolt
- What prompted the initial round of Latin and Central American revolutions in the early nineteenth century?
- Who were some of the key figures of the Mexican Revolution, 1910-1920?
Unit 9 World War I
- Why were the Bolsheviks able to triumph in the civil war in Russia?
- What factors promoted the
collapse of the tsarist autocracy in Russia in February 1917?
Unit 10 World War II
- Why did the Great War turn into a world war?
- How did World War II differ
from the Great War?
Unit 11 Cold War
- What were some of the key events of the Cold War?
Unit 12 Decolonization and Nation-Building in Africa
- What were some of the common challenges faced by African societies as they achieved independence?
- Compare and contrast the decolonization experiences of Angola and Ghana?
Unit 13 South Asian Independence
- Why did South Asian leaders insist on the
partition of the subcontinent?
14 Latin American Modernization
Unit 15 The United Nations and the World
- Has democracy in Latin America increased?
Unit 16 The Emergence of the Pacific Rim
- How has the United Nations tried to safeguard human rights in the world?
- What is human progress?
- What are some of the common features of the advanced economies of the Pacific Rim?
All materials on this site
are copyright © 2008-20, C.T. Evans
For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org