Mongol Paragraph Assignment
The Gur-e Amir mausoleum in Samarkand (Uzbekistan), dating to the fifteenth century, is the burial place of Tamerlane (aka Timur, or Timur the Lame, 1336-1405), one of the great military conquerors of history.
- the excerpt from the Russian chronicle about the Mongol invasion of Russian in 1237
- the remarks by Professor Evans on the Mongols
- the required reading in the Riasanovsky textbook for this unit
- any other materials that you can locate about the Mongols and Russia (Make sure that you check some of the recommended websites listed with Professor Evans' remarks.)
and answer the following question in a paragraph:
Explain some aspects of the impact of the Mongols on the development of Russian society in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries (cite your sources).
Watch the short video on this paragraph assignment.
OK, since you are only writing a paragraph, you do not have to cover everything about the Mongols and Russia. I will suggest that you focus on no more than three items
Your paragraph must follow this format:
- begin with a concise topic sentence (sentence 1) that directly responds to the assigned
question (no need to define terms or cite a dictionary) and that identifies your analysis/thesis points.
- font size 10 or 12 only
- one-inch margins
- direct, quoted material to support your points
- name, and only your name, at the top left of the paper
- about one-half page in length (not to exceed 3/4 page)
may consider submitting a draft of your assignment to your instructor for
feedback before submitting the assignment for the grade. At times, you may be asked
to rewrite your work. This is done for your own benefit
and will result in an improved grade.
Please take a moment to review Charlie's History Writing Center for
specific information on the writing requirements for the assignments in the
course. Please check this short explanation of what it means to cite historical evidence.
Your assignment should be submitted on Canvas.
All materials on this site
are copyright © 2009-17, C.T. Evans
For information contact email@example.com