Unit 15: The United Nations and the World
Christ the Savior Cathedral (Храм Христа Спасителя) in Moscow. The church has had an unusual history which you might be interested in checking out sometime. Photo credit Claire Reifsnyder.
must do in this unit
What you can do in this unit
Some videos that you can watch for this unit
Extra Credit Options
Unit Learning Objectives
- For up to 25 points of extra credit, in a one-page paper consider comparing the
Charter of the League of Nations with the UN Charter.
- For up to 25 points of extra credit, read both United Nations Resolution 181 (1947),
and the Declaration of
Israeli's Independence (1948), and write a one-page paper in
which you examine the rationale for the creation of Israel.
- For up to 25 points of extra credit, in a one-page paper, assess the successes/failures of UN peacekeeping operations since 1945. Please be sure to cite your sources. A good starting point is U.N. Peacekeeping
- For extra credit up to 5 points, I am collecting pictures of McDonalds restaurants from locations around the world (not in the US) for some remarks about the spread of pop culture in the world. If you are willing to send any photos (It must be a photo that you have taken yourself.), you will receive credit if I use the photo. Please attach the photo to an email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upon successful completion of this unit, you will be able to (1) explain the role of human rights in the countries of the world and (2) define the role of the United Nations in the world.