Timeline of Slatington History

 

Header image

1825

The Lehigh Water Gap Chain Bridge Company organized to build a bridge across the Lehigh River just below the Lehigh Gap above Slatington. The chain bridge which was completed in 1826 (engineer Jacob Blumer). The bridge towers were destroyed by fire on 24 May 1926 then rebuilt and reopened in 1927. The bridge was razed in 1934 after the new highway bridge had opened.

Here is a twentieth-century photo of the chain bridge.

Source: Pictorial Souvenir: Scenes of Slatington and Vicinity