Timeline of Slatington History

 

Header image

Bicycling

Mr. Joseph Conrad, of this place provided himself with a bicycle. The idea is not a new one, but the article is a novelty in Slatington, and attracts considerable attention when he makes his appearance with it on our streets. We notice hime to be quite an expert in running the concern.

Sources: The Slatington News, 18 July 1883

Blue bar

Catholic and Lutheran Churches Dedicated

The new St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, on Second Street, this borough, was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies, on Sunday last. (The Slatington News, 5 December 1883)

St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church to be Dedicated
It is a brick building and was commenced in the year 1881, but owing to the difficulty in raising the necessary funds the progress was sometimes slow, and occasionally work had to be suspended for a time, the Congregation in the mean time holding services in the basement which was finished soon after the building was put under roof. The main building is 40 feet front by 65 feet deep, and is now completed....The dedication of this handsome edifice will take place on Sunday, Dec. 2d, when a grand time is anticipated. (The Slatington News, 21 November 1883

The cornerstone of the new Lutheran church was laid. (The Slatington News, 13 July 1881)

The new Catholic Church, recently built in this place was dedicated, on Sunday last, with appropriate ceremonies and in presence of a large concourse of people. (The Slatington News, 28 November 1883)

Nearly Finished.
The new Catholic Church, on Washington Street, of which the corner stone was laid a few weeks ago, is already under roof and the carpenters expect to complete their work this week. It now looks as if the edifice would be ready for dedication by Christmas.  The members of the congregation are very few and they have shown considerable zeal in raising the necessary funds. (The Slatington News, 24 October 1883)

Blue bar

Slatington's New Water Supply

Now Completed
The popular Contractors, Messrs. Ringer & Keener, completed theor contract to supply the borough with water, on Saturday last, the water is now running in all parts of the town. It was supposed by many who seemed to know a great deal about such things that the force would not be sufficient to drive the water to all parts of the town, but as usual they have been mistaken, and the pressure of the water is fully sufficient to satisfy the most skeptical. The town is now well supplied with good and pure spring water and the contractors deserve great credit for the able manner in which they have fulfilled their contract and fully justifies te action of Council in selecting them to do so important a work. (The Slatington News, 19 December 1883)

Our Water Supply
In obedience to the wish of the people, as expressed at the late election, to increase the indebtedness of the borough for the purpose of furnishing the twon with a better supply of water, the Town Council have already taken action.  On the 9th inst, the old Water Company held a meeting at the Slatington hotel for the purpose of negotiating with the Council. Mr. James Hess, of Easton, occupied the Chair and John Morgan of this borough was chosen as Secretary. A proposition was made and carried to sell the entire stock to the borough for $12 per share, the sale to be dated from the first of October, 1883.  The town council was in session at the time and a Committee was appointed to wait on them and submit the proposition of the stockholders.  The council after some deliberation agreed to accept the offer, so that hereafter the entire works will be under the controle of the borough.  The main pipe will be eight inches in diameter and will be about a mile and a half long and bring the water direct from the Dorward farm, where there is a large stream of pure water. This will be a great convenience to our people, for they have long since felt the need of a more abundant supply of water.  The work is to be pushed on vigorously until completed, the contract for digging the trenches and laying the pipes having already been awarded to Messrs. Ringer & Keener, the well known contractors of this place.  This is as it should be, for since it has been decided that we are to have more water, the sooner the better. (The Slatington News, 17 October 1883)

Vote on the water Question
basically since it was going to increase boroguh indebtness by 18,000 (making a bigger debt peercentage than permitted, the state lawa sid had to have a vote), There were but 181 votes cast, 134 for 43 against, and 4 irregualr votes that were not counted. This decides in favor of water by three to one. (The Slatington News, 22 August 1883)

Special Election set for 21 August 1883, to be held in the hotel of E. B.Neff, ourose was to increase the indebtedness of the borough to finance the purchase of the property lately owned by Joshua Dorwards, with the springs thereone, about a mile and a half NW of Slatington, and to buy out the rights and poperty of any other water company. (The Slatington News, 1 August 1883)

Citizens met in the Armory and agreed that it was a good idea that the town take charge of this new water supply. Another meeting the following week, and offer from the Slatington Water co to sell out to the town also. (The Slatington News, 14 February 1883)

New Water Works
Some ten or more of our enterprising citizens last week purchased the Dorward Spring, situated up towards the mountain and leveled the water and measured the capacity of the spring...a fall of over two hundred feet to a point in front of the residence of Squire Kuntz in lower Slatington and to have elevation enough in upper Slatington...About eight thousand dollars will be required to lay the necessary pipes. (The Slatington News, 7 February 1883)

Blue bar

New Railroad Bridge Across the Lehigh

The Pennsylvania, Slatington and New England Railroad Co, the line of which is now in course of construction, is about commencing the erection of a bridge across the Lehigh a short distance below Slatington.  Proposals for the mason work will be received by James Clark & Co., at the U.S. hotel, in Slatington, until June 15th next.  The bridge will contain 7 piers, rising 43 feet above water level, and the spans between the piers are to be 140 feet.

(The Slatington News, 6 June1883)