In 1851 the town was regularly laid out by D. D. Jones and Robert McDowell and lots were sold (History of Lehigh County, page 558.) According to D. D. Jones, R. McDowell, Thomas Craig, James Porter purchased a large parcel of land from farmers--D. D. Jones bought the McDowell share in 1851--and in August 1851 lots were laid out after the wheat harvest with the first house being erected near the southwest corner of Main and Dowell Streets. Other houses followed. The original proposed name of "Waverly" was not accepted by the post office, and so it was decided upon "Slatington." (The Slatington News, 19 July 1876)
Welsh Calvinistic church organized (ibid).