There is not much material that survives with details of early slate operations in the town. One exception is the [Articles of association of the] Lehigh Slate Company, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, 1857.
According to The Slatington News (18 September 1889), the Welsh organized in 1846 and held their worship in dwellings until 1857 when the little stone building was erected at the corner of Fourth and Church streets, which was but lately removed. This building was used until 1858 when the congregation divided and the Welsh Congregational and Welsh Presbyterian bodies were formed. The latter built their present house of worship in 1883. The congregational edifice was erected in the same year.